The health care industry is getting creative with ways to prevent and treat the opioid epidemic in America. A recent article from The News Courier reported on the latest concept that claims to improve patient adherence by more than 33%.
TimerCaps are patented lids that come in four different shapes based on how the original prescription was filled: Walgreens Style, Rite Ade Style, CVS Style or Mail Order Style. Each cap features a digital screen that displays the amount of time since the bottle was last opened. The company website notes six ways the caps prevent prescription drug abuse:
- Automatically measures the time since last dose.
- Knowing when it is safe to take the wheel again is based on time and ability.
- Fits pharmacy vials to keep label info together with meds.
- Tamper resistant & the timer resets to know it’s been opened.
- The evidence to know an exact time last opened, deters theft.
- Avoiding misuse or theft of meds to keep friends and families safe.
TimerCap also offers an “iCap” that is Bluetooth enabled to communicate with a smartphone alerting patients when it’s time for their next dose. It also records which medications were taken when and retains a log.