West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc., a global leader in innovative solutions for injectable drug administration and delivery, announced that it will participate in several educational sessions, scientific posters, and presentations at the 2016 PDA Universe of Pre-filled Syringes & Injection Devices, taking place October 17-18 in Huntington Beach, California. West will share advances in drug containment, self-administration systems, and patient adherence, and will co-present with Amgen as well as Noble. Additionally, West will showcase high-quality packaging technologies and drug delivery solutions at booth #504.
"As the number of biologic medicines continues to rise, West is working with our customers to provide the highest quality drug containment solutions, as well as innovative drug delivery technologies that can meet the needs of patients and healthcare providers in this evolving marketplace," said Eric Resnick, VP & Chief Technology Officer at West. "At this year's meeting, we look forward to presenting alongside our customers and collaboration partners to share how these successful relationships have resulted in drug containment and delivery advancements for patients."
This year, West announced details of two collaborations with global biotechnology leader Amgen Inc. In February of 2016, West announced that Amgen had selected West's Daikyo Crystal Zenith® vials-in conjunction with West's FluroTec® stoppers-to contain Amgen's FDA-approved therapy IMLYGICT (talimogene laherparepvec). In July of 2016, Amgen announced the U.S. approval of its Repatha® (evolocumab) Pushtronex system (on-body infusor with prefilled cartridge) based on West's SmartDose® drug delivery technology. Leaders from West and Amgen will present a case study around their collaboration associated with the Repatha program, as well as a co-presentation on the benefits and challenges of approval of a polymer container system compared with traditional glass containers.
West will also announce the availability of a multisensory-based educational and training program for West's SmartDose technology platform. This new training system is the result of a collaboration with Noble®, a leader in patient-centric onboarding and training. This new training system signifies a continuation of West's strategy to enhance the overall patient experience, and will complement West's existing relationships with Insight Product Development and Healthprize Technologies. Insight provides user-centric research and design inputs, and Healthprize provides a Software-as-a-Service platform to help improve patient adherence through motivation and education. West and Noble will co-present the results of this end-to-end patient training solution, and the collaboration between West and each of the three other companies will be featured at the respective booths of each company.
During the conference, West will lead the following educational sessions:
* October 17, 11:15 a.m. - "Effective Patient Training and Onboarding for Wearable Injection Devices," Chris Evans, Vice President, Research & Innovation at West, and Mike Siemer, Director of Design & Engineering at Noble.
* October 17, 1:30 p.m. - "Collaborative Partnership between Device Manufacturers and Pharmaceutical/Biopharma Companies to Ensure Optimized Combination Products for Injectable Drugs," Tom McLean, Vice President, Delivery Systems, Research & Development at West, and Bill Rich, Vice President, Device Technologies at Amgen.
* October 18, 11:15 a.m. - "Polymer Container Systems - Perspective from Biopharma Drug & Container Manufacturers," Scott Young, Ph.D., Vice President, Container Systems at West, andRonald Forster, Ph.D., Executive Director, Device & Final Drug Product Technologies at Amgen.
Additionally, West will present two scientific posters during refreshment breaks on Monday and Tuesday:
* October 17 - "Component Selection Strategies for PFS: Risk Mitigation, Performance, and Larger Injection Volume Driving Innovative Solutions," Royce Brockett, Senior Manager, Product Management at West.
* October 18 - "Cartridge-Based Containment Systems: A Review of Component Fit and Functional Performance Data for Plungers and Lined Seals," Andrea Straka, Supervisor, Scientific Affairs at West.
Finally, West will participate in the following educational workshops after the conference:
* October 19, 8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. - "Human Factors/Risk Management"
Moderator: Diane Paskiet, Director, Scientific Affairs at West.
Panelist: Chris Evans, Vice President, Research & Innovation at West.
* October 20, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. - "Understanding Product Options, User Needs and Fill-Finish Requirements for Nested Format Syringes, Cartridge Containers and Drug Delivery Systems," Tibor Hlobik, Sr. Director, Product Management, Prefilled Systems & Delivery at West.
* October 21, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. - "Essential Elements of Extractables and Leachables: From Material Selection to Final Report," Diane Paskiet, Director, Scientific Affairs at West.
West will showcase several innovative drug delivery system and packaging component technologies at booth #504, including:
* 1-3mL NovaPure® plungers - High-quality components for higher-volume pre-filled delivery systems, designed using Quality by Design (QbD) principles to reduce particulate and ensure consistency of delivery.
* SmartDose® technology platform - An integrated drug delivery system that adheres to the patient's body, usually on the abdomen, so patients can be hands free while self-administering medication in accordance with their prescribed treatment.
* Daikyo Crystal Zenith® - A cyclic olefin polymer containment and delivery system designed as a high-performance alternative to glass. It is an integrated lifecycle solution that is designed to maintain drug safety, purity and efficacy from development through to commercialization.
* Westar® cartridge plungers - Ready-to-Use and Ready-to-Sterilize cartridge components manufactured for consistency and quality to reduce the risk of variability and its potential effects on drug safety and efficacy.
For more information, please visit West at booth #504 at the PDA Universe of Pre-filled Syringes & Injection Devices or online at www.westpharma.com.
Certain forward-looking statements are included in this release. These statements reflect management's current expectations regarding future events and operating performance and speak only as of the date of this release. There is no certainty that West's Daikyo Crystal Zenith® with FluroTec® stoppers or SmartDose® technology platform will achieve any level of commercial success. These forward-looking statements involve a number of risks and uncertainties. For a description of certain additional factors that could cause West's future results to differ from those expressed in any such forward-looking statements, see Item 1A, entitled "Risk Factors," in West's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2015.