Festo introduces the CPX-FB36 node for EtherNet/IP communications. The CPX-FB36, which is the next-generation replacement for the Festo CPX-FB32 communication node, is suitable for production and process automation environments requiring diagnostics from the operational and master controller level down to the field level.
New features of the CPX-FB36 include an integrated Ethernet switch that eliminates and/or reduces the need for external switches, thereby lowering cost. The new node supports line, tree, or ring topology for greater flexibility. It also supports device-level ring functionality for robust, redundant network connections. It facilitates quick-connect functionality for end-of-arm tooling and other quick-change applications. For fast response times, Festo adopted a new processor design. Requested Packet Interval (RPI) settings now go as low as 1ms.
In addition to these new features, the CPX-FB36 offers diagnostic and function integration capabilities. For example, multiple pressure zones and power distribution zones allow the machine designer to use one manifold where multiple manifolds would otherwise be required. Galvanic-isolated power for electronics/outputs/valves allows connection to safety relays and systems. There is an integrated web server for diagnostic and parameter monitoring.
Advanced diagnostic capabilities for connected modules include:
• Short circuit protection and detection for individual input and output channels, including solenoids
• Wire fracture monitoring for solenoids and connected I/O
• Configurable de-bounce filtering to support a wide variety of connected sensors
• Configurable signal extension for digital inputs
• Analog input and output modules with configurable signal smoothing and limit monitoring
• Functional integration, including integrated pressure sensors and proportional pressure regulators, communicate data in real world units (PSI, Bar, Kpa) for simplified HMI interactions.