Download the latest edition of HCP’s Serialization Playbook that will bring you up to date on DQSA/DSCSA, and what it means for your serialization efforts. Learn More »
BCC Research’s new technical market research report, “Global Markets For Drug Device Combinations,” says the market for global drug-device combination products, valued at $18.5 billion in 2011, should reach $19 billion in 2012. BCC forecasts total market value to rise $30.5 billion in 2017 after increasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.9%.
The publisher of market research reports and technical publications breaks down the market for drug-device combination products can into five major segments: coronary stents (as shown in the illustration here), photodynamic therapies, antimicrobial catheters, orthopedic applications, and all other segments. The report forecasts the following growth for those segments as follows:
• Coronary stents are expected to have a value of $5.8 billion in 2012 and $8.2 billion in 2017, a CAGR of 7.2%.
• Photodynamic therapies as a segment should total $1.7 billion in 2012 and $2.6 billion in 2017, a CAGR of 8.9%.
• Antimicrobial catheters are expected to total $6.6 billion in 2012 and $11.7 billion in 2017, a CAGR of 12.1%.
• The segment made up of orthopedic applications (cements and bone substitutes) should be valued at $2.8 billion in 2012 and $4.1 billion in 2017, a CAGR of 7.9%.
BCC says, “The combination products industry includes makers of drug-delivery systems, gene therapy systems, personalized medicine drug-device combinations, biological-device combinations, nanotechnology, and certain other products for diagnostic and therapeutic treatments of cardiovascular, metabolic, oncologic, and other disorders.
“Combination products are therapeutic and/or diagnostic products that combine elements of drugs, devices, and/or biological products. An estimated 30% of all new healthcare products under development are ‘combination products’ involving medical devices embedded with pharmaceutical or biologics components. The classic example of a combination product that revolutionized patient care is the drug-eluting coronary stent.”
The report includes the following information to benefit readers:
• Forecast the market size for drug-device combination products in terms of dollar and unit sales
• Classify the market size for drug-device combination products by geographical region in terms of dollar and unit sales
• Highlight the roles played by major stakeholders and players
• Provide an overview of the activities of influential companies
• Examine crucial, innovative breakthroughs by means of a detailed patent analysis.
Published Nov. 2012, the report is available as an electronic PDF for $4,850. It aims to provide value to many industry participants, including the following:
• Drug delivery system makers
• Drug device manufacturers
• End users and distributors
• Academic and research institutions
• Financial institutions.